Make your own free website on
Isaac's Community Service & Awards
Isaac's former guest book is back!
In my own words. A message from Isaac Ruiz
A personal message from Suz
We'll right back after this message
Linking to Isaac
Put me in coach. I'm ready to play!
Movies and Television
If you don't have Schlitz, You don't have gusto.
Amgo's forever
Meeting Mando. A fan and dear friend get together
Mando drops by Ed Brown's Garage
Cruising at 15 MPR can be so stylish!
A pistol packing papi chulo
Isaac and friends
Fun with Dick and Jane
Cherising Chico
Isaac on Charlies Angels
Roaming the Desert. Suzanne's visit with Isaac
Isaac's tour of duty .



I was in the Marines, from 1961-1965, and was stationed all over the world.  I went into the Marine Corps, the 2rd of July, 1961, and got out July 2nd, 1965.  I spent 13 weeks in "bootcamp", in MCRD (Marine Corps Recruit Depot) in San Diego, California, and then an additional 5 weeks in 2nd ITR (infantry training regiment) in Camp Pendleton, which is in San Clemente, which then completed my basic training.
While in a training operation, I had gotten real sick, and did not realize, how sick I was, but I wanted to make sure and finish my training, so I never went to "sick-bay".  Upon completion of all my training, I went to have a check up, and found out, I had double-pnemonia, (du-bronchio pneumonia) and was sent immediately, to the San Diego Naval Hospital, where I remained for 58 days.  I had, what they called, "walking pnemonia", and had such a severe case, that one-two more days, and I would surely have died.
I was put in the intensive care unit, and on a machine, to breathe for me.  That machine was called, "the bird".  They had one of those plastic coverings over me like a tent, and I remained in intensive care for a week.  I had a collapsed lung, and developed pluracy in my lungs, which I had no idea.  Other than all my coughing, and spitting up flem, I felt o.k.  The doctor said, that I was in a critical stage, and could have died.  Wow!  Thats all I could say.
My orders, from Washington D.C., were going to send me to a military outfit, right there in Camp Pendleton, called 7th Marines.  It was located in Camp Las Pulgas, but instead of going there, I was sent to the hospital.  When I got out of the hospital 2 months later, my old outfit, 7th Marines, were in special training, called, "amphibious training", and were headed to "Okinawa Japan".  I did not go.  Instead, I was sent to what is called a "holding" company.
Thats where Marines go, that are waiting for new orders.  We got our orders, from Washington, D.C., so now it was a waiting game.  I was in the holding company for 2 weeks, and then I got my new orders.  I was headed for El Toro, California, which was a Marine Corps Air Base.  I was going to join, a Marine Corps Fighter Squadron, which flew fighter-jet aircraft, and it was at MCAS, (Marine Corps Air Station) El Toro, California.  This Air Station, is halfway between San Diego, and Los Angeles.
I loved it, because I was going to be close to my home, in Los Angeles.  I would be able to go home almost every weekend.  It was great, and a "God-send".  Man was I happy!  I was sent to join an outfit called, VMF-AW 542.
This was an "All-weather" fighter squadron, and I was put in supply.  I had a real good job, and great people (sargeants) that I worked under.                           (to be continued...)